It is a matter of time before machines outstrip humans in most capabilities. How can we possibly stop a more intelligent entity from taking control? Stuart Russell joins Vasant Dhar in episode 20 of Brave New World to explain why, despite the dangers, he remains optimistic about artificial intelligence and how to control it. Please find the episode here.
1. Human Compatible — Stuart Russell.
2. Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach — Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig.
3. Erewhon, or Over The Range — Samuel Butler.
4. The Theory of Political Economy — W Stanley Jevons.
5. Decision and Organization — Edited by CB McGuire and Roy Radner, with a contribution from Kenneth Arrow.
6. Welfare Economics of Variable Tastes — John C Harsanyi.
7. Economic Possibilities for Our Grandchildren — John Maynard Keynes.